Thursday, October 6, 2011

Trier

This is a belated account of our first weekend excursion:



On Saturday we went to Trier, Germany, a beautiful little town on the Moselle River just over the Luxembourg-Germany border. Trier is the oldest town in Germany (founded around 16 B.C.) and is the oldest seat of a Christian bishop north of the Alps. It is graced with a historic church and no shortage of charming architecture. Once in the village we walked the pedestrian path from the main square to the old wall, Porta Nigra, (largest Roman city gate north of the Alps) and back through the cathedral. The cathedral's baptismal font alone is something to marvel at and the church, impressive in its mass and  highly decorative interiors.

  


 

Like I have mentioned, my German is weak ("dank" might be my only word) so I really feel far away the minute I pass through to the other side. It makes me appreciate having at least one other language to use when traveling. French doesn't do you much good in Germany it seems, but thankfully Gabriel is working hard in German class. He might even surpass Jorrit sometime next week.

What I did find familiar and closer to home was the farmer's market in the town square with its faded and scalloped striped awning tents. The flower vendor was there along with many strolling tourists from everywhere, Seattle included.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment